rainbows

Copy & Paste This Code:

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Giving Blood



Last night was Felicia's last swim meet, which was memorable in itself because we swam against Woodlake where we have friends we know so it was exciting and fun. Also Felicia ended up placing 3rd in two of her events and first in her backstroke event !
We had pouring down rain which delayed the start of the meet for almost an hour, so we didn't get home until after 10pm. During the delayed part, there was an announcement that the Virginia Blood Services mobile was out in the parking lot doing a blood drive. I had been wanting to give blood recently but the opportunities arose when I had other things scheduled. One time I even pulled into a parking lot where they had a blood drive advertised on the radio and I just happened to be in the area, but I was told the wait would be about an hour and I had my three girls and their friend with me, so I didn't think that would be good.
Last night turned out to be great timing because I was one of the last ones to walk in the Bloodmobile. I had to answer lots of questions, but after that I enjoyed chatting with the nurses while they prepped me for the donation. I warned them I was a "bleeder", remembering this from my pregnancy days when the doctors ordered blood tests often. Well, she inserted that needle and the blood spurted out all over my shirt ! She was surprised and I jokingly said"I TOLD you I was a bleeder!" She told me my vein was right under my skin, not deeper like some people's and she she even remarked how fast my blood filled up the bag. I guess that's a good thing ? She felt so bad that she gave me 2 shirts and tons of snacks like Fig Newtons, bags of pretzels,goldfish,cookies, peanuts. I was happy to be a blood donor and even happier that the swim meet had finally started by the time I was finished !

No comments: